What's More Unbelievable?

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Let the Saxophonist Have Some

Ween has always been a band that makes people scratch their heads. Some hate them virulently, refusing to believe they are anything more than drug addled, juvenile goofballs who create music with the sole purpose of torturing listeners. Others worship them unequivocally, bowing down at the temple of the Boognish. While not quite as far gone as some, I would have to place myself in the second camp. I love Ween. I first found out about them when "Push the Little Daisies" somehow wrestled its way onto the radio. In an era where King Missile received heavy rotation, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised Ween were allowed on the airwaves too. My college roommate Jimbama later won me over completely when he introduced Chocolate & Cheese to my life. If you can fall in love with "Mr. Would You Please Help My Pony?" you are well on the path to becoming a Ween obsessive.
One thing about this band is that they consistently mystify me and the rest of their fans. They put out an album titled, 12 Golden Country Greats which seemed like a put on but was actually a compilation of country tunes. The fact that there were only 10 songs on the album just intensified the head scratching.
They have Motorhead homages like "It's Gonna be a Long Night" rub up against soft rock gems such as "I Don't Want It" and seem to think there's nothing odd about that. They used the photo to the left as a press photo. With Ween it seems like everything is thrown into a pile and it's up to the listener to sort it out. Good luck to all those willing to try.
For their latest opus, La Cucaracha, they have written a full-fledged Euro-disco club song titled "Friends." But the strangest thing about the song is that it's not even the most confusing inclusion on the album. That honor belongs to the final track, "Your Party." Months after getting the album and listening to it over and over, I still don't know what to make of the song. That's probably the complaint I hear most about Dean and Gene: Are they for real? Are they joking? Is this all some giant prank or do they take this stuff seriously? Honestly, I have no idea and that may be the point but it still doesn't help me make sense of this song. If you have not heard it, please take a listen here.
If you weren't able to tell by the perfect tone of that saxophone, that David Sanborn honking away on this track. David Sanborn! Smooth jazz master. So what's the deal here? Is this a straight faced recording? I find it hard to believe it's simply a joke because I'm sure it cost a bit to get such a marvelous guest star plus who would ask someone to join their album just to hold them up for ridicule? But who actually listens to David Sanborn anyway and do any of them possibly overlap with the demented circle of Ween fanatics? Ween seem to be voracious music addicts but smooth jazz? Everyone has their limits but I have yet to find where Ween's are. If this song is a goof, it's a wonderfully produced and lovingly crafted goof but something about it stinks of sincerity. I'm still unsure of the inspiration and intention of "Your Party" but it doesn't matter. Fans of the band are used to this kind of high weirdness and go along with each strange detour. I love the world Ween live in, one where Sade fans and paint huffers can unite as one, strapping on their jammy pacs and grooving the the sweet sweet sounds of the alto sax.

2 comments:

jamie said...

i'm going to be very disappointed if i don't hear this song on the Weather Channel very soon. that song rules.

princess cortney said...

i saw ween in concert at a festival in seattle. all i knew of them was their country album (with piss up a rope). i would have loved them, but the guys standing behind me were huffing gas. for real deal huffing gas. and i asked them about it (i was young and dumb). their only reply was that ween had done it on one of their albums, so they were going to huff the gas every time a song came on from that album "to see if they could get it." so my advice is try sitting at home and huff a little gas to the melodious sounds of the ween. see if that helps with your smooth jazz/ween fix.
good luck.