What's More Unbelievable?

Monday, March 31, 2008

This One's For the Kids at The Gaming Zone

I was called out in the comments section of a recent post. I was told by Dustin to "practice up" on my Rock Band skills. Dustin is returning to Vermont in exactly one month so I've got a limited number of days to prepare myself. I'm currently obsessed with the Hard mode on Guitar Hero III and have slowly made my way to the final stage. Stage 7 nearly beat me down as it is full of terrible songs I have never heard like "Stricken" by Disturbed, songs with insane time signatures such as "3's and 7's" by Queens of the Stone Age or songs with absolutely killer runs of triplets like "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse. After numerous failures and jeers from the crowd, I entered Lou's Inferno which features extremely difficult songs by Metallica, Iron maiden and Eric Johnson. I managed to get through all of these but there is one remaining song that has broken me. It is "Raining Blood" by Slayer. Check out this video of the band playing it live:

Now I know that I'm not actually playing the song. I understand that I'm really only manipulating 5 brightly colored buttons on a plastic guitar and not actually playing the complex speed metal riffs you saw on this video but it's still incredibly difficult. I have no idea how I will ever fake my way through this song and can't even imagine what it will be like if I ever trick the game into letting me play it on Expert. Who are these people who are able to play the game at this level? Why don't they channel all that energy into something else? Why am I spending so much time practicing a fake instrument when I should be studying actual guitar music? Am I going to get my face handed to me when Dustin returns in May? I will keep you posted as the day draws near. Here's a video of some kid nearly acing a section of the song I can't even get to:

Maybe I need to start drinking Red Bull.

3 comments:

Hott Mama said...

There will be no Red Bull in this house. You will drink Mountain Dew or nothing at all.

Anonymous said...

the NAME of your drink shall be Mountain Dew "Gaming Fuel." It's like all i drink now. and yeah, i do grind my teeth and sit in the dark while cortney sleeps, but i HAVE found a way to play the bass and guitar at the same time for "raining blood." and on a side note i found out that i'm the devil.

princess cortney said...

jeremy--
i may not have mentioned on my blog, but our xbox (lovingly called the sex box in our house) has been at the x box factory for a good two weeks. it just got back yesterday. so i think you are safe. however, having said that, dust only works 1 day a week. so the days i am at work (41/2) he is here practicing. but remember that you were so far ahead of us--mere mortals that we are-- we consider you a rock god. so rest on those laurels, my friend. enjoy your fancy "work: vacation, and we will see you in weeks if not days.
xoxo
cl m