What's More Unbelievable?

Friday, May 30, 2008

Mothra likes a moving picture

This week I rediscovered music videos. Up until this past Wednesday, I though new bands releasing new videos was pretty much a dead art form. I've lived without cable television for about ten years and the likes of MTV and VH1 gave up on their mission statement years ago anyway. I'd also given up on the internet as a source for watching bands' music videos since searching around their myspace pages always annoyed me and felt like a waste of time.
But Wednesday night I was reading a review of the new Al Green album on Pitchfork and noticed a sidebar ad for Pitchfork.tv. I clicked away from the review to find a whole bunch of music videos by bands I generally find interesting. Now, please don't think I'm a shill for Pitchfork or one of those bloggers who gets cash for plugging shit. I just get excited some times when I discover new things, like the time I discovered volume control buttons on the side of my cell phone; ask anybody - I couldn't stop talking about them. Anyway, since my ignorance of music videos lasted roughly a decade, there have been some pretty cool things happening it seems. My favorites are animated videos. Check out this Justice video that totally floors me everytime I watch it. See if you can spot all the corporate logos referenced.


Architecture in Helsinki's video is an embroidery breakthrough:


Also check out a new Hot Chip video. Those boys can dance!


Do yourself a favor and also check out Gamera's post from a while back with Vampire Weekend's A-Punk vid.

No comments: