What's More Unbelievable?

Monday, May 5, 2008

My Three Thoughts

1. Mothra is officially back in town. It feels like half a year since we did a show together and I'm horribly excited to have him back in town and back in the studio. Gamera Jr. has been wonderful as a copilot and it's fun to do a self indulgent noisefest now and then but I'm ready to get back the theme shows and the theme song which I can't bring myself to play when he's away. This Sunday the fierce battles resume.

2. I'm falling in love with Les Savy Fav lately, partially for their unhinged frontman Tim Harrington but mostly because they are carrying the torch for bands like Candy Machine and Fugazi. Tim is famous for accosting the audience at every Les Savy Fav show. He attacked Mothra a few months ago when we saw them in Northampton. We stood close to the stage filled equally with excitement and pure dread as he launched himself into the crowd repeatedly. Mothra held his own pretty well as Tim put his arms through Mothra's jacket and forced him tight against his body. I was amazed at how well Tim was able to still sing with Mothra's hands inside of his mouth. There's a fantastic interview on Pitchfork today with Mr. Harrington. Here's my favorite exchange from the article:

Pitchfork: Have you ever regretted anything you've done on stage?
TH: Obviously, anytime I've fallen. Sometimes I fall hard on my coccyx. I've regretted that...you mean like, ashamed?
Pitchfork: Yeah, maybe. Like waking up the next day and thinking, "maybe I shouldn't have fed that kid my hair," something like that?
TH: No, it all seems like it's OK.


3. We don't get too many visitors here at Battle for the Earth (tell your friends) but I do like to know who is stopping by which is why we installed a site meter. We have some regular readers and many strangers who stumble across here due to various search terms. Lately, strangers worldwide have found us by searching Google for pictures of Guanabana fruits. None of these people stays for very long as I'm sure they're disappointed to come across long, rambling music notes instead of recipes for that delicious treat. On May 1, someone visited us using a search I found very curious. Here is the Google search someone typed in: "the hangovers - all dolled up." This shocked me and made me curious. Looking at the site meter closer, I discovered this user was in Durham, NC. They stayed for 0 seconds but I'm left to wonder who this could have been. The Hangovers was the name of a home recording project of a friend of a friend named Jack Watson and I'm pretty sure he recorded these songs while living in Durham. Jack's been in several bands (Raygun Theatre, The Diplomats) but as far as I know he only recorded two songs under the Hangovers moniker: "All Dolled Up" and "Now She's Coming Out." Who is this mystery person looking up the Hangovers? I'm so intrigued.

5 comments:

Listmaker said...

considering that jack now lives in durham again, i'm guessing jack was the culprit. but i wonder why he didn't stay for at least one second.

Crispin H. Glover said...

i wonder too. and why was he searching for that one specific song? i searched google and youtube and found nothing band related but did find a random video of projects made by his graphic design class in chapel hill and there's a lovely shot of him helping a student while looking dapper in a shirt and tie.

Jimbama said...

Be careful- it's addictive. I've developed a bit of an obsession with my sitemeter, which is saying something considering i'm averaging about 5 visits per day (and at least one of them is me from my work computer)...

RobCartelli said...

Thank the good lord! Finally a post that wasn't a setlist or about "Dirty Dancing"; you've out done yourself Gamera. I'm glad I've returned home to see the end of the obsession. We should watch "Roadhouse" sometime soon.

Clockwatcher said...

I believe Roadhouse has the always classic Swayze line "Pain don't hurt."