What's More Unbelievable?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Let Me See You Bounce To This

Democracy Now! is a well loved syndicated news program that focuses on non-mainstream news and stories often overlooked by the larger media conglomerates. It is hosted by Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzales, two incredibly serious and righteous individuals. WVEW, home base of Battle for the Earth, plays it daily at 5 pm, right when I leave work. I rarely listened to it in the past partially because I am in the mood for music when it's quittin' time but mostly because it's so damn depressing. I hated watching the news every day growing up because I felt it focused almost solely on the negative aspects of humanity and I couldn't stand all the hyperventilating and overblown noise that the news creates. Democracy Now!'s heart is in the right place and mostly in line with my politics but during the dark, dark Bush years, I would feel so helpless hearing Amy drone on endlessly about injustice after injustice but during the past few months, the glimmering hope that was Obama made my change my tune. Now if only they would change theirs.

I've been listening daily for the past two months and grew more and more excited as the election drew near and I felt the tide turning. I was happy about the prospect of some good news for once and even more ecstatic when I missed the atrocious theme song for the show. I only hear it once in a while but each time it's like a semi-funky ice pick to the brain. I have searched and searched the internet for the musicians who committed this crime against those with functioning eardrums but can't find the culprits. Why must this show, which features actually interesting and competent musicians during the short breaks on the program, have what is possibly the worst theme song ever? For such a left wing, progressive, intelligent news source, there must be someone there with the sense to end this bizarre cruelty to the audience. I deliberately walk slowly to my car to avoid this madness. I've posted a full show below but you really only need to listen to the first few seconds to hear what I'm incensed about. Please join my petition to get Amy and Juan to come to their senses. It truly is change we need.


A Wolfowitz in Sheeps Clothing - Democracy Now!

1 comment:

RobCartelli said...

I'm right with you on this. I was driving home the other day and caught the into and remember thinking, "This shit is worse than the Diane Ream intro."