What's More Unbelievable?

Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Greatest Christmas Song (and Video) Of All Time

For the past decade, I've tried to acquire a new album of Christmas music each year. Generally Christmas albums can be quite terrible and I've certainly had my share of bombs, none worse than Jim Nabors' absolutely unlistenable collection of mistakes, but I've found more hits than misses so the search continues.

Last year, I never really got in the mood to listen to many of my albums regardless of whether they were pop novelties or sacred religious compositions. I don't know what has caused it but this year I'm excited to cycle through the ever growing collection and enjoy the songs that are only really appropriate in December. They've really helped console me since Miley broke my heart.

The season really began when the unmistakable sounds of that dreadful Paul McCartney song wafted into my office from the department radio. Nothing says Christmas like drippy sentiment and so we were off and running. I've heard plenty of Christmas Classix in stores where they are contractually obligated to spread holiday cheer and while those are nice, I was delighted to hear some new, beautiful and deeply touching songs on the Colbert Christmas special. "Can I Interest You In Hannukah" even stirred the hidden Jew within me and I have been knee deep in holiday spirit ever since.

Pop radio and in store broadcasts cover all the expected bases and play the typical standards from Nat King Cole, George Winston and The Waitresses but I'm always surprised that the one song I almost never hear is The Kinks' "Father Christmas" which up until recently was my favorite Christmas song of all. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong stations but it is always a Christmas miracle when I get a chance to hear this masterpiece. It still ranks at number two but has been surpassed by what I truly believe to be the greatest Christmas song of all time. Number one has got it all: good cheer, conflict, a children's choir, blistering guitar blasts. Plus, the video is astounding with its mix of high drama and laser beams. Enjoy.

No comments: