What's More Unbelievable?

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Shred Hot Fire

Hats off to Mothra for telling me about this amazingness. Jjosh recently posted the Shreds video of the perennially overrated Eric Clapton showing off his chops and since I was watching at work at not closely enough, I thought it was actual footage of the man losing his mind on stage. I now see the error of my ways. That's what I get for not clicking on the links. Anyhow, there's an entire series of these monsters out there where absolutely ridiculous noodling is overdubbed over footage of guitar masters rocking out. Jjosh says that Clapton is the hands down winner but I'm not so sure. There's so many brilliant moments here from Santana's starting declaration of "You're dead meat" to the keyboardist's solo take on Europe's classic "The Final Countdown" to the percussion madness courtesy of the drummer's furious snare rolls. It's 4 minutes of pure joy but I think my favorite section is from 3:20-3:35. Better than Clapton? Please discuss.



And just for kicks, here's another video that always satisfies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much to say here.

First, I love love love that you were duped by the Eric Crapton one. I admit when I first saw it, I wondered for a bit what the heck was going on...but when that skronking sax came in and the tears started rolling down my face I knew it had to be a dub. It still makes me smile thinking about it.

This Santana one is good, no doubt. The "you're dead meat" bit is especially hilarious, but in some parts of it there's obviously a lot more going on then we're hearing. I think that's why I like the Clapton one better -- the camera switching tends to isolate the musicians pretty well and you don't end up with those wide shots of everyone going nuts while hearing the minimal mess.

Maybe it's just 'cuz I'm in TV that I'm noticing this stuff. Also I've always found Crapton to be wayyy more pretentious than Santana so I get more joy seeing him taken down a peg.

But still, this one is solid.