What's More Unbelievable?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Call For Help

So, I was listening Sunday night's show at work today (narcissist? not really, just bored with the online radio that we listen to, but it is fun to actually hear the show which I don't really get to do on account of cueing song and logging entries to the blog) and the one thing that jumped out at me was my over-abundant use of the word 'fantastic'. It was, "oh, this album is fantastic" or "man the lead guitar in that song is just fantastic." What the hell is happening to me? My vocabulary is diminishing into a hodge podge of phrases and words that I don't even like.
So, I'm asking you to help we with this problem. Give me suggestions for better adjectives that I can use on the radio. I kinda like 'wicked awesome' on an ironic level, but I don't want to get stuck in that rut. So comment to this post and help ole' Mothra out. I'll even give you an on-air shout out like, "The production on that Shins number is the cat's meow - adjective brought to you by *your name here*"
Thank you all in advance.

Here is a video that always amazes me because it was made when rock videos reigned supreme, but it is so damn lazy, but friggin' awesome at the same time. Enjoy:

7 comments:

Hott Mama said...

Yay, Mothra! That old Gamera has been running this show for too long!

I suggest "sour" as sweet has been used up and wore away. Or the bee's knees is always good.

Hott Mama said...

Oh, and the Foosball sleeveless tee in the video is a classic.

jamie said...

whatever you do, don't start using "amazing" - it's the most overused word of the past 5 years. some other options:

mind-blowing
spleen-tingling
rootin-tootin
stupendous
splendiferous
brilliant (warning: may make you sound British)
phantasmagorical
blotto
well-hung
elephantine
majestic
ear-diddling
lord-a-mercy
tangy
palatial

i could go on.

Anonymous said...

with regards to that video - i'm pretty sure that was like the most sought after site for a video shoot in canada at the time. and how amazing is it that that keyboard is on the wall? this is the kind of music people should celebrate life experiences to.

if youre looking for a replacement for "fantastic," i've got one that should work, with no need for concern of overuse: "da bomb-diggity." now go forth beast of flight, and claim the earth for all of us with a limited, but damn respectable vocabulary.

Crispin H. Glover said...

That video just blew up my mind. It looks like the kind of thing you'd make with your friends in the backyard when the first handicam showed up on the block in the 80s. These guys are emoting all over the place and making no apologies for it.

Listmaker said...

jamie,

amazing list. an absolutely stupendously amazing list. simply amazing.

princess cortney said...

is "melt in your pants--good" already on the list?