What's More Unbelievable?

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Got A Fever For More Flugelhorn

I love anniversaries. Whether i'm celebrating 25 years of marriage or the 45th year of Lucky Charms cereal, I love looking back on the length of time something has lasted or how long something has been around influencing my life. Lucky and his amazing marshmallows certainly had a hand in creating the person I am today. 2008 marks the 10th anniversary of one of my favorite albums of all time, Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I was barely impressed by the album when I first heard it but months later when my friend Lisa gave me "Holland, 1945" on a mixtape I wondered if this was the same band that bored me on her stereo many months ago. I'm not one to rewind a mix tape again and again just to hear the same song over and over but for this magical song I made an exception. Soon after, I bought the cd and quickly fell in love. Burtsing with ideas and overflowing with emotion, it never fails to knock me out.

Pitchfork has an interesting article on the album and its legacy today. It's an amazing collection of songs that suits many moods and situations. I've enjoyed it both on headphones while half dozing on the floor and driving alone at 3 in the morning shouting along with every word. It's perfect for when you want something achingly personal or if you are desperate to fill your ears with buzzing sound and bleating horns. I listened to it tonight at dinner while discussing home made play dough with the under 5 set and it worked perfectly. What's your take on In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Masterpiece? Overhyped caterwauling? Half baked concept album? Your personal jesus?

Here's a great video featuring a snippet of an unreleased tune followed by the ever-devastating one-two punch of "The King of Carrot Flowers Pts. 2 & 3."


5 comments:

Listmaker said...

you still like 69 love songs more than this?

Crispin H. Glover said...

No...did I once say I did? it's not quite as solid as this album. it's a major feat, yes, but aeroplane has proven the winner over time. i still love the moon and antarctica too. numbers 1 and 2 perhaps? do you still have that list of the best albums of the 1990s that we made? i seem to have lost it years ago.

Anonymous said...

i also love this album. i'm almost afraid to listen to it most of the time for fear that either 1) i will get weirdly emotional for no apparent reason or 2) i will get sick of listening to it, which seems like a tragedy. #2 may not be possible, but i can't take that chance. also, there was a time when i played several of these songs repetitively on my acoustic guitar, which is a different sort of tragedy.

Listmaker said...

i have the list i made if you want it. i think you had 69 love songs at number 1 and modest mouse at number 2 or maybe the other way around?

jjosh said...

have you read the 33 & 1/3 book on this album? it is amazing. if not, get it an devour it...