What's More Unbelievable?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hulk Smash

I overheard a coworker talking about rock music today. Now I don't always agree with my coworkers' taste in music but I've come to a healthy place where I just swallow myself and allow the conversations around me to unfold as they normally would. No one wants a wet blanket always piping up saying, "You like this song?!?! Are you f-ing serious?!?! What could you possibly like about it? It is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever heard in my entire life and I grew up in a house where the Manheim Steamroller Christmas album was played on repeat!" So I keep my thoughts to myself. Actually, I quite like overhearing the conversations and though I occasionally disagree with their picks, they will often call me over saying, "They're playing your favorite song!" so I get up and run over the radio only to be pleasantly surprised that "Karma Chameleon" is getting some airtime. Yes, "Kokomo" does show up more often than I'd like but I've learned to enjoy the musical discussions of my coworkers and resist the urge to kill.

Until now, that is. Now, I grew up listening to rock but over the years I learned to appreciate most any genre of music and have a rabid obsession with music in general. But rock is my true love and I've re-realised that this past year as jazz and blues and more fall away and I watch rock rise to the top of my musical pile. I'm completely enamored with it in a way I haven't been in years. There was a fantastic Random Rules in the Onion A.V. Club a while back where they interviewed the drummer for Nada Surf about what was on his iPod. He describes himself as a "rock 'n' roll defender" and that's how I've felt lately. Maybe it's the countless hours spent playing the Guitar Hero collection and Rock Band but even cheesy classic rock sounds great to me now. Boston? Yes sir! ZZ Top? Gimme some more! Aerosmith? Mountain? Well, I didn't say I've lost all objectivity. Anyhow, I'm in love with rock and don't want anyone besmirching its good name.

So I overhear my coworker dismissing rock music as worthless. "There have been so many great essay written about the utter dreck that is rock." "It's just 2 chords over and over and appeals to the lowest common denominator." "The only reason it's written is for commercial purposes and therefore it's another example of the sad decline of humans." I was ready to kill. I spent the next 20 minutes stewing in my seat, creating arguments in my head about the various intelligent people who have fought for the respect of rock music, the numerous nerdy, math rocky, proggy bands that know 3, possibly 4, chords or the musicians who turn complex short stories into song lyrics and concept albums. How dare this person say such hurtful things? Then I realised that rock music doesn't care and these stupid statements weren't aimed at me or my record collection so I should just let it go. It was just another example about how the things that stress me out in life are typically the silly issues like this and the real problems of the world barely enter my consciousness. While the world frets about genocides and viral epidemics, I wage war against people who badmouth reality tv and anyone who even considers seeing "Be Kind Rewind." It was a good chance to check myself before I wrecked myself and accidentally fired someone. I've since calmed down a little bit about it but writing this entry has me all fired up again. I mean, seriously, who in their right mind would say something so hurtful like that?

5 comments:

Listmaker said...

your hatred of be kind rewind is making me want to make it my number one movie of 08 even though i didn't particularly care for it.

oh and another thing --

rock is dead.

shawn said...

how have i missed your vitriol on the topic of be kind rewind? what's your gripe? i'm not embarrassed to say that i saw it and was fairly charmed.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i gotta say, i have no idea who these people above me are, but right now i feel like i'm better friends with them then you. is mos def responsible for the downfall of prog rock? did jack black say something bad about your favorite movie, Toy Story? I mean it's good to see you've still got an overabundance of hate, but let's try to direct it at something that truly deserves it, like Drillbit Taylor.

Crispin H. Glover said...

Be Kind Rewind just looks like a lazy movie based on a terrible idea that nobody would care about were it not directed by michel gondry. Now, Drillbit Taylor...that looks intriguing.

Anonymous said...

now i'll admit, i would have much more of a problem with "Rewind" if it were directed by, say, M. Night Shyamalan, but let's be honest: the subject matter pretty much demands someone like gondry at the helm. granted the movie has a few downfalls, but "based on a terrible idea?" aren't personal low-fi tributes right up your alley? and come on, gondry's ability to dream up complex special effects-less shots is pretty amazing. maybe its just that i'm a fan and you are not. oh, and, see ya in a month friend. you better practice up on your debut Boston album - they've got all those songs on Rock Band now.