What's More Unbelievable?

Thursday, February 12, 2009

TRL, Where Are You Now?

So it seems that all the critics calling Animal Collective's new album, Merriweather Post Pavilion, their 'pop' album may be on to something. Their music is typically a secret pleasure in my house as some of the sounds they make don't always go down easy with the others who live here. One night there was an actual meltdown due to the incessant noise and high pitched squeaking of "Spirit They've Vanished." Let me assure you it wasn't pretty. Another time I was listening to the Panda Bear cd Person Pitch and Sebastian had a freakout, screaming and crying and begging me to turn it off. I don't even know what song was playing but my days of finding that a peaceful listen were over. Somehow, the gorgeous melodies and fascinating noises that I heard were like serrated daggers into the brains and spines of my housemates. Their albums have certainly been getting more and more "listener friendly" with each release and some have claimed that this new cd will finally launch them into the larger spotlight of public attention. While I find it hard to believe that songs as odd as "Lion in a Coma" or as dreamy as "Bluish" could catapult them to stardom, I've been wrong before and could easily be again. Tonight as I listened to Merriweather with the boys, there were no tears, no complaints, no repeated, panicky requests to turn it off. "Who is this?" Sebastian asked during "Guys Eyes." "Animal Collective" I told him and he merrily went back to drawing. Later, final track and colossal mindblower "Brother Sport" came on and he asked again who we were listening to. I told him again to which he replied, "This is the first album of theirs I've liked all the way through. I like every song." As the music blared through the house, I smiled. Dorian then shouted "Yeah! I like every song too!" Watch your back, Lady GaGa.

No comments: